Becoming a freelancer in Spain: visa options

Becoming a freelancer in Spain: visa options

2021-11-10 18:01:38

Do you already have a business model in mind and know how to drive customers? Are you considering becoming your own boss? If your answer is yes, this article is for you.

There are two ways to achieve your goals: to open a company in Spain or to simply become a freelancer. Becoming a freelancer has a lot of unsurpassable benefits:

  • The bureaucratic processes are not so complex as opening a business, considering different topics such as a unique trademark, managing the payroll of your employees, etc
  • The taxes required are fewer if you earn less than 60,000 euros a month
  • You have more flexibility and freedom

Considering all the benefits one can have as a freelancer, this article will explain the necessary processes you need to carry out in order to become a legal freelancer in Spain.

1. Can I define myself as a freelancer/self-employed (autónomo)?

Autónomo is the Spanish name for freelancer and self-employed. You can be defined as a freelancer if you sell something (whether it is a physical product or a service) in exchange for a monetary return. In this case, you need to register yourself as self-employed in Spain. Otherwise, the activity you carry out and the money you receive may be seen as illegal.

Next, we will talk about how to apply for a working visa/working permit as a self-employed/freelancer.

2. How to apply for a working permit as a self-employed worker?

The first time you apply will grant you a self-employed working visa valid for 1 year. After 5 years of consecutive renewals, you can apply for a long-term residence.

You can check with your embassies or consulates to see if they accept the application of this visa type and other additional requirements. Besides the normal documents needed for a visa application; you need to prepare the following documents to apply for the visa:

  • Proof of training or qualifications necessary to carry out your job: eg, if you want to be a business consultant, you need to own at least a relevant bachelor's or master’s degree or other similar proof.
  • Sufficient economic means: You can get investments from your own funds, investors, or even Spanish banks that wish to boost the Spanish economy. The funding should cover at least your personal expenses and professional activities.
  • The viability assessment report of your business plan:
    • You need to first have a thoroughly written business plan with everything related to the business, such as marketing plan, financing plan, operations plan, and especially the expected positive outcome of your project during the first 3-5 years.
    • Then you need to send this plan to any of the following organizations to get a viability assessment report (a viability certificate):
      • Federación Nacional de Trabajadores Autónomos ATA
      • Unión de Profesionales y Trabajadores Autónomos UPTA
      • Confederación Intersectorial de Autónomos del Estado Español – CIAE
      • Organización Profesionales autónomos OPA
      • Unión de Asociaciones de trabajadores Autónomos y emprendedores UATAE
    • Once obtaining the certificate, you can then submit all the relevant documents to the consulate.

3. How can I register myself as a legal self-employed autónomo?

After having a legal identity that permits you to carry out freelancer activities, you need to register yourself as a legal freelancer and:

5. Advice from Adeslas

Our expat insurance is not only a 100% satisfactory visa insurance, but also the best private insurance in Spain with the broadest hospital network and advanced technology. We want to protect you while you are achieving new goals in your freelancer career.

Our contents will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 10/11/2021

Search in Blog

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to receive health tips, latest medical news, and promotions.