Spanish partial recognition of the titles obtained in foreign countries

Spanish partial recognition of the titles obtained in foreign countries

2021-10-20 16:45:17

If you want to study in a Spanish university and did not obtain the title in an EU university, you still have the chance to get admitted! You can ask for partial recognition in the university that you are applying to.

Unlike the homologation for working in Spain, partial recognition is not possible for study purposes. And it’s important to note that you need to choose between homologation and partial validation. You cannot make these two requests simultaneously.

1. What is partial validation?

It’s official recognition for academic purposes of the higher studies carried out in foreign higher education centers.

If you already have a title obtained in a foreign country or you are still pursuing the title, you can apply for this recognition to continue studying relevant studies in a Spanish university.

2. Who is eligible for this application?

If you are enrolled in a foreign university that meets the criteria set by the council of universities, you might be entitled to validation, whether or not you have finished your current studies.

However, degrees or studies corresponding to the following cases cannot be validated.

  • Those studies that lack official academic validity in the country of origin
  • Those corresponding to studies carried out, in whole or in part, in Spain, when the centers lack the mandatory authorization to teach such teachings, effectively implemented in the foreign university or higher education institution at the time it issued the title, of following the provisions of article 86 of Organic Law 6/2001, of December 21, on Universities. However, when these circumstances affect only part of the studies carried out, the partial studies that do not incur them may be subject to validation, where appropriate.
  • The degrees that have already been approved the homologation in Spain or have already finished the process of validation in Spain.
  • The degrees that have undergone homologation or equivalence procedures. 
    • However, in the case of having requested the homologation of the degree and the application was denied, you may request the partial validation of their studies, provided that the denial has not been based on any of the causes included in article 3.2 of the Royal Decree 967/2014, of November 21.
  • The degrees obtained by recognition of professional practice in a percentage greater than 15 percent of the total credits that make up the study plan.

3. How to carry out the partial validation process?

You need to ask your university of interest if you are eligible for the application. They will inform you of the steps needed for the process.

An example of the University of Jaén: the time constraint and documents needed for the application

4. What else should I prepare to study in Spain?

The most important thing to prepare once the university gives you an offer is a student visa. To get the student visa, you need to contract medical insurance that fits the visa application requirements:

  • Operates in Spain
  • Full coverage, including emergencies, consultations, diagnostic tests, surgeries (inpatient and outpatient), and hospitalizations, etc
  • A minimum coverage of €30,000.00/year
  • No copayment or deductible
  • No waiting periods
  • Repatriation of remains.

As the official international office of SegurCaixa Adeslas, we want to present you with our expat insurance. This insurance is rated as the best medical insurance in Spain as well as a perfect option for visa requirements.


[1] Convalidación de estudios extranjeros por estudios universitarios españoles parciales. (2021). Retrieved 20 October 2021, from

[2] - BOE-A-2014-12098 Real Decreto 967/2014, de 21 de noviembre, por el que se establecen los requisitos y el procedimiento para la homologación y declaración de equivalencia a titulación y a nivel académico universitario oficial y para la convalidación de estudios extranjeros de educación superior, y el procedimiento para determinar la correspondencia a los niveles del marco español de cualificaciones para la educación superior de los títulos oficiales de Arquitecto, Ingeniero, Licenciado, Arquitecto Técnico, Ingeniero Técnico y Diplomado.

Our contents will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 20/10/2021

Search in Blog

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to receive health tips, latest medical news, and promotions.