What are documents your newborn may need in Spain?

What are documents your newborn may need in Spain?

2023-12-28 05:35:20

New birth registration is only the first step in acquiring legal identity for the new birth. There are other crucial documents available, which you need to apply for one by one for potential future use.


Purchase Health Insurance that meets the requirements for all Spanish Visas and the NIE/TIE (residence permit) application/renewal through this link here: Health Insurance
No coverage limit. No co-payments. No deductibles. No waiting period.


1. Order a Birth Certificate

2. Apply for a passport for the kid:

3. Register the kid as a resident

4. Recommendations from Adeslas:



1. Order a Birth Certificate


The process has been replaced by the new service of Registro Civil, which requires the user to access the system using a cl@ve or digital certificate.

You can obtain several types of different birth certificates:


  • Short Certificate(en extracto): This is a summary of information relating to the birth contained in the Registry
  • Ordinary (Ordinario): This is issued in the Spanish regions where their sole official language is Castilian (Castellano)
  • Multilingual (Plurilingüe):  This is issued in the Spanish regions with more than 1 official language. (eg. Catalonia). The certificate will be issued in Castilian(Castellano) and the official language of the region (in the case of Catalonia, it would be Catalan)
  • Literal (literal):  A literal copy of the registration of birth, containing all data regarding the identity and the facts of the birth. This is needed for passport applications
  • Literal DNI (Literal ID card): A literal copy of the registration of birth, containing all data regarding the identity and the facts of the birth. This is needed for an ID card application


2. Apply for a passport for the child:


  • First, although the kid is born in Spain, this does not mean that he or she will automatically have Spanish nationality. The child needs to meet one of the following requirements to be entitled to Spanish nationality and a Spanish passport:
    • If the child is born in Spain to at least one parent whose Spanish citizenship has not lapsed
    • If the child Is born in Spain to at least one non-Spanish parent that was born in Spain (this excludes children of diplomats)
    • Nationality by presumption: If the child is born in Spain and neither of the countries of origin of the parents grants nationality to their children if they are born abroad
  • Sometimes, you might need a lawyer’s help because there are other exceptions depending on the nationality of the parents.


If the kid satisfies one of the above requirements, he or she can have Spanish nationality and apply for a Spanish passport by making an appointment (cita previa) and the required documents are:


  • Birth certificate, issued no more than six months before the appointment and with express consent to be used for obtaining a passport
  • A recent color photo that shows the head and shoulders
  • City town hall registration (certificado de empadronamiento), issued no more than three months before the appointment
  • Child’s DNI if they have one
  • Parents’ passport, DNI, or other documents certifying their nationality
  • Appointment fee


If the kid does not satisfy the above requirements, he or she will need to adopt the nationality of one or both parents, depending on if the parents are from different countries and if their countries accept double nationality. In this case, the parents should consult the consulates of their countries of origin accordingly.



3. Register the child as a resident


Baby being born in Spain


If you are residents of Spain, your newborn babies are entitled to obtain a residence permit called “Residence authorization for a legally born child of a legal Spanish resident (Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España).


The requirements for the obtention of this residence permit are:


  • The child is not a community citizen or a family member of a citizen of a State of the European Union, the European Economic Area, or Switzerland, where the Union citizen regime applies
  • The child was born in Spain
  • Any of the parents is a legal resident of Spain


The required documents are:


  • Application form completed and signed by the father or mother of the minor:
    • If the temporary residence is requested: EX -02
    • If residency is requested for family reunification: EX -02
    • If the long-term residence is requested: EX - 11
  • A full copy of the child’s passport or valid identity registration of the child
  • Birth certificate of the child
  • Paid residence tax, you can download here and pay at the local bank:
    • For temporary resident: Form 790 Code 052 section 2.1 “initial authorization of temporary residence (autorización inicial de residencia temporal)”
    • For long-term residents: Form 790 Code 052 section 2.6 “long-term residence authorization and long-term residence authorization-EU (autorización de residencia de larga duración y autorización de residencia de larga duración-UE)”


Note: Documents from other languages need to be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.


On the other hand, all foreign public documents must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation except in the case in which said document has been apostilled by the competent authority of the issuing country according to the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961, and unless said document is exempt from legalization by the International Convention.


The application steps are as follows:


  • The legally resident father or mother of the new birth should ask for a prior appointment and present the documents needed at one immigration office (Oficina de Extranjería) of the province when the child is born or when the parents can access the service of the immigration office
  • Administrative silence (Silencio administrativo) is applied: The resolution stage is 45 days, and if the parents don’t receive any notification after 45 days, the application is perceived as “approved
  • When the parents finally get the notification of the resolution results as ¨approved¨, the parents together with the kid need to apply for the TIE card in the immigration office(Oficina de extranjería) or Comisaría de Policía Nacional (National Police station) of the province here
  • When going to the office, the applicant and the mentor need to present the following documents:
    • Foreigner identity card application form EX-17
    • Proof of payment of the card fee
    • Three recent passport-size color photographs on a white background



4. Recommendations from innoinsure:


Here at innoinsure, we care about you and the whole family. We offer the best private medical insurance, dental insurance, and accident insurance to protect you and your newborn baby.


New birth and recently pregnant moms may sometimes encounter discomfort because of the special stage of life they are in. With our insurance, you will get the best medical treatment with the least queuing time to ensure your health and safety. Go check the offers out!


If you would like to know more about this topic, check out one of these other blogs:





[1] Certificado de Nacimiento - Trámites - Sede Electrónica. (2023). Retrieved 13 June 2023, from https://sede.mjusticia.gob.es/es/tramites/certificado-nacimiento 

[2] BOE.es - BOE-A-1989-29749 Instrumento de ratificación del Convenio número 19, de la Comisión Internacional del Estado Civil (CIEC), relativo a la Ley aplicable a los nombres y los apellidos, hecho en Munich el 5 de septiembre de 1980. (2021). Retrieved 20 August 2021, from https://www.boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-1989-29749

[3] PORTAL DE INMIGRACIÓN. Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España. (2021). Retrieved 20 August 2021, from https://extranjeros.inclusion.gob.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/Ciudadanosnocomunitarios/hoja058/index.html 


 Our content will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 13/06/2023

Search in Blog

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to receive health tips, latest medical news, and promotions.