Steps to request a driving license exam in Spain
Cars have long been an indispensable part of our lives and learning to drive is also an indispensable skill in modern life. At the same time, reducing the use of public transportation during the epidemic can also effectively avoid the risk of infection.
Therefore, here come the questions: is it possible to use a domestic driver's license without taking the exams? How can I apply for a driving exam in Spain? This article will talk in-depth about the process needed to obtain a driver’s license.
1. Make sure if you are entitled to take the driving test
You need to fulfill the following requirements:
- Reside in Spain. If you are a foreign student outside the European Union, you must demonstrate that you are in the circumstance for a minimum continuous period of six months
- If you belong to a member state of the European Union, the Economic Area, or there is a bilateral agreement between Spain and your country, and you have a driving license, you do not need to obtain a new one, you can exchange the one you already have
- Not be deprived by judicial resolution of the right to drive motor vehicles and mopeds, nor be subject to suspension or administrative intervention
- Have adequate psychophysical skills required about the kind of license you are applying for. However, you can also get a special license or permit if you have a disability
- Be of the age required for each permit or license. It is possible to obtain type C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D, and D + E driving licenses, at a lower age than that established generically if the interested party has:
- Driver qualification card
- Certificate of Professional Aptitude (CAP) or, failing that, the title of the training course or a certificate from the training center indicating the initial qualification modality: ordinary or accelerated
2. Have a comprehensive understanding of the process
Before signing up for exams for any type of driving license, you should have comprehensive information about the following:
- The difference and types of driving licenses: permisos de conducir (driving licenses)
- If you need to practice your driving skills, you can sign up in a driving school. Note that this is not necessary. Here’s the information you need to know and ask before signing up in a driving school.
- During the preparation process to obtain your driving license, you can also have at your disposal several helpful procedures.
- If you pass your exam, you will be given a provisional, with which you can drive before you get your official one. It’s important to always keep your address updated and in case of any change, you can follow the steps here.
3. Documents needed to sign up for the exams:
To take the driving test, you need to present the following documents:
- Official application form for aptitude tests needed to request to take the exam. By signing this form, the applicant also declares that he or she is not deprived by court order of the right to drive, is not subject to suspension or administrative intervention, or is the holder of a permit of the same class issued in another State.
- Psychophysical aptitude report, issued by an authorized Driver Recognition Center. Remember that this certificate has a validity period of 90 days.
- Proof of payment with the data of the corresponding rate previously acquired or a credit card if you are going to make the payment in the offices.
At the time of presenting yourself to the practical test you must provide:
- Stub-photo with current original photo of 32 x26 mm. in color and with a plain background, taken from the front with the head uncovered and without dark glasses or any other garment that may prevent or hinder your identification. The school in which you enroll to take the practical exam will give you a one papel with information to fill in (talon-foto), which you must sign and attach the photo. It will only be necessary if it is the first time you apply for a specific driving license.
Note: If your hair is covered because of your religion, photographs with a veil will be accepted, but the oval of the face must appear completely uncovered from the hairline to the chin so that it does not impede or hinder your identification.
4. How can I sign up for the exam?
After knowing the required documents, the next step is to understand what means you have to request the test:
- If you present through a driving school, the school will be in charge of submitting your application to take the aptitude tests, and in case you pass the exam, they will also help collect your license.
- In the case of doing it yourself, you have 2 ways to make your request:
- In-person, delivering all the documentation to any Traffic Headquarters or Offices. In this case, you must go there with original and valid documentation to prove your identity:
- DNI or Passport.
- If you are a community foreigner: Residence authorization or identity document from your country, or Passport together with the Certificate of registration in the Central Registry of Foreigners.
- If you are a non-EU foreigner: valid residence authorization.
- Also, you can find a representative to present the application in person for you, if you give them a signed document where you authorize the representative the right to perform the processes for you. To do this, download and fill in the modelo de autorización de la DGT “Otorgamiento de representación”.
- Online, through the Electronic Registry. You must have a valid electronic ID or electronic certificate or your cl@ve credentials to access the registry. In addition, you must verify before making the registration that you have downloaded the AutoFirma program. You have a service that verifies that your device meets the requirements to be able to carry out the procedures electronically. You can follow the instructions below:
- Buy and download the proof of the corresponding fee.
- Fill in the details of your request in the Electronic Registry:
- Fill in the data accordingly, select your Traffic Headquarters or Offices as "Organismo destinatario"
- Include in the "Asunto": Solicitud presentación pruebas de aptitude + <ID number of the applicant>
- Finally, click on “Añadir documento” in the “Documentos anexos” section and attach the documents indicated before
- If the process is going to be presented by a representative on your behalf, you must have previously authorized the representation through the Registro de apoderamientos. Your representative, at the time of identifying himself in the registry to present the application, must indicate this circumstance by marking in the drop-down 'Quién presenta el trámite?' the option 'Representante', and filling in later in the form both their data (representative) and yours (the real applicant)
- Register your request and keep the receipt.
- Once your application has been received and processed, the office will inform you of its resolution with your examination request.
When submitting your application for registration, you must consider:
- The request process is not automatic. When they process your request, they will email you confirming that it has already been made correctly.
- When carrying out the procedure, the date on which the application was submitted will be considered. Do not forget to keep the proof of presentation.
- Before attaching your digital documents, check that they are legible and that they are digitized with good quality. There exists the possibility of being rejected if DGT cannot clearly read the documentation you send.
5. Advice from Adeslas
After presenting the request, it’s crucial to study and practice well for the real exams. Adeslas wishes you great luck in your exams! When passing the exam, most of the clients will think about buying a new car in Spain. Caution: In Spain, it’s necessary to contract car insurance when you purchase a car. You can contact us in English to learn the best car insurance offers Adeslas gives by phone call (+34 911746191), WhatsApp (+34 640048309), or email (email@example.com).
BOE.es - BOE-A-2009-9481 Real Decreto 818/2009, de 8 de mayo, por el que se aprueba el Reglamento General de Conductores. (2021). Retrieved 27 July 2021, from https://www.boe.es/eli/es/rd/2009/05/08/818/con
BOE.es - DOUE-L-2006-82772 Directiva 2006/126/CE del Parlamento Europeo y del Consejo, de 20 de diciembre de 2006, sobre el permiso de conducción (Refundición). (2021). Retrieved 27 July 2021, from https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=DOUE-L-2006-82772
dgt, w. (2021). Dirección General de Tráfico. Retrieved 24 August 2021, from https://www.dgt.es/es/
Our contents will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 24/08/2021