Spanish ITV car test: all you need to know about as an expat

Spanish ITV car test: all you need to know about as an expat

2021-11-09 18:45:08

In Spain, if you want to ensure that your car is safe to travel on the road, you need to pass an ITV test regularly, similar to the MOT test in the United Kingdom. In Spain, the frequency of ITV test depends on the antiquity of the vehicle:

  • Cars between 4 and 10 years old need to be tested every 2 years
  • Cars that are older than 10 years old are subjected to an ITV test annually

Therefore, if you want to live in Spain with your vehicle, you need to get familiar quickly with the ITV car tests.

1. What are the necessary documents to carry?

To carry out the test correctly, you need to carry the right documentation to the test center:

  • NIE document in the case of an expat
  • Ficha Tecnica (Technical sheet): This is a sheet you are given after your ITV test, outlining any faults that are found. You should bring the Ficha Tecnica from the last ITV test that your car passed.
  • Permiso de Circulacion(Circulation permit): This is the registration document of your vehicle.
  • The certificate that your car has proper car insurance: We offer a car insurance offer to ensure your health and safety. You can contact us to know more information by phone call (+34 911746191), WhatsApp (+34 640048309), or email (
  • Fees needed to pay for the test of your vehicle: It can vary from 30 to 110 € depending on the size and power of the vehicle.
    • Usually, the test for a normal 4-seat passenger car can cost around 40 euros

2. How to get an appointment in a car center?

The ITV test can only be carried out at an official testing center. You can easily find the nearest ITV test station here.

You can call the station and ask for an appointment. Besides, there are some online agencies offering services that help you with getting an appointment if your next ITV test is due in a few days.

3. What is Tested During an ITV test?

The ITV test is very different from the MOT test that is performed in the UK. Instead of simply dropping off your car at a test center and leaving, you will be asked to perform certain tasks as part of the process.

If you don’t want to waste time or you are afraid of the language barrier, you can also entrust this task to some garages that provide this service. You can simply drop your car in the garage and they will do the test for you!

If you decide you’d rather take your car yourself, then here is a quick step by step of what you can expect:

  • Take your car documentation to the ITV office and pay for your test. You will also be given some documents back. You will be asked to drive it through several test points.
    • The 1st station check is generally for lights, wipers, indicators, hazards, and seatbelts.
    • The 2nd station is for wheel alignment.
    • The 3rd station is for brakes.
    • The 4th station is for omissions and oil etc.
  • Once the tasks are completed, you will be given your results.
  • What do I need to do if I succeed/fail the test?
  • If you pass the test: Congrats! You will be given a test certificate and a sticker with the ITV test realization month and year.
    • After that, you are required to put this in your car. Otherwise, you will get fined.
  • If you fail the test: then you will be given back your documentation and the test sheet with a rubber stamp displaying “unfavorable”. The failure reasons are usually written in the paper in Spanish.
    • After that, you have 30 days to check and repair the car and test the car again.
    • If you fail to test again in 30 days or fail the test again, the ITV center will report to the department of transport that your car is no longer legal to go on the road.

4. What do you need to know if you are driving a foreign car in Spain?

If you have been driving a foreign car in Spain for more than 6 months, then it is a legal requirement that you register your vehicle into the Spanish regulation system and get checked.

Before the 6 months period is due, if you want, you can have an ITV test and get a “Voluntary Certificate” rather than a full and conventional certificate.

In the official international office of Adeslas, we consider your mobility as well as your safety. Therefore, besides the necessary car insurance, we want to present you with our medical insuranceaccident insurance. As an expat, you might need to apply for Spanish visa and are asked about a valid visa insurance. Our medical insurance fulfill all the requirements required to obtain a visa. You can simply contract the insurance with a few clicks! If you encounter any problems or questions, talk to us, the official and professional multilingual team.

Our contents will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 09/11/2021

Search in Blog

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to receive health tips, latest medical news, and promotions.