Guide to the authorization of residence for family unification

Guide to the authorization of residence for family unification

2021-09-16 17:39:34

As a non-EU citizen, the process to get the authorization of residence for family unification is a rather complex process. If you and your family fulfill the requirements, you can start to think about applying for residence in Spain. 

1. What are the documents required for the application?

  • Two EX – 02 application forms, duly completed and signed by you.
  • A full copy of your passport, travel document, or valid registration card.
  • Certified copy of the documentation that proves that you have sufficient financial resources to meet the needs of the family:
    • If you work for a company:
    • If you work as a self-employed worker:
    • If you are not carrying out any lucrative activity in Spain, you can present:
  • certified checks, traveler’s checks or letters of payment, or credit cards
  • bank certifications of the financial means you present
  • Documents for sufficient housing accreditation:
  • A report issued by competent office for this document, usually the city town hall near to you live. The report must include the following information: How many people live in the houseHow big the house isNumber of rooms and the functionalityThe habitability conditions and equipmentA copy proof of having made the request for the report to the local responsible offices
  • Copy of the complete and valid passport or travel documents of the relative that is going to reunite you
  • Copy of the documentation proving the kinship ties: You might want to check the special conditions in each case before preparing the documents.
    • In the case of your spouse/partner:
      • The marriage certificate or a legal accreditation of the relationship
      • An affidavit declaring that you are not residing in Spain with another spouse/partner
      • If you are married in a second or subsequent nuptial. You need to present a judicial resolution that establishes the situation of the previous spouse and their children.
    • In the case of your children:
      • Birth certificates of the children
      • Reunited with a single parent: documentation proving that they have sole parental authority, have custody granted, or that the other parent authorizes their residence in Spain.
      • If they are over 18 and are not objectively capable of providing their own needs. They should present supporting documentation.
      • If they are adopted children, you should provide the adoption certificate.
    • In the event of your parents:
      • Your birth certificate or other documents that accredit the kinship between your parents and you.
      • Documentation proving that you have transferred funds or borne expenses of the parent.
      • Documentation accrediting the reasons that justify the need to authorize residence in Spain.
      • Where appropriate, documentation proving that there are humanitarian reasons that justify the authorization.
  • Proof documents accrediting that you have private insurance, or you are entitled to social security: Our expat insurance fulfills all the requirements of Spanish visa and residence permit requirements.
  • Proof that you have paid the residence processing fee: Model 790: code 052, Section 2.1 Initial authorization of temporary residence

Important note:

  • In general, copies of the documents must be provided, and the originals must be exhibited at the time of submitting the application.
  • When documents from other countries are provided, they must be translated into Spanish or the co-official language of the territory where the application is submitted.
  • All foreign public documents must be previously legalized by the Consular Office of Spain with jurisdiction in the country in which said document has been issued or, where appropriate, by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation

2. The application process

Application: You need to present the application personally in any public Immigration Office corresponding to the province where the foreigner has registered its TIE application.

  • On the day of the application, you need to go with all the documents you can present to avoid any refusal of the application. After 45 days, if you haven’t received any notification of the application, it’s understood that the application has been approved for the administrative silence. You can also check you have got any notification in the Single Edictal Board (TEU) or in the electronic headquarters if you have been required to present the application online.
  • If the application is approved, your family members have two months from the notification of the concession, to personally request the visa at the diplomatic mission or consular office.


PORTAL DE INMIGRACIÓN. Autorización de residencia temporal por reagrupación familiar. (2021). Retrieved 16 September 2021, from

Our contents will be updated according to the most recent legislation. Last update: 16/09/2021

Search in Blog

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to receive health tips, latest medical news, and promotions.